I made this recipe for myself and had extras so I could have leftovers for dinner the next night. It did not take very long, only the roasted sweet potatoes, but if you start that in advance, it is real quick, especially if you use canned black beans and frozen brown rice. You can also use mashed sweet potatoes, but I prefer roasted potatoes when putting it in a bowl. You can put this in a whole wheat sprouted grain tortilla if you prefer a burrito. Below is the recipe for one serving, but feel free to adjust the recipe as needed.
Prep Time 45 Minutes
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup canned black beans
1/2 cup sweet potatoes (about 1/2 potato)
Bunch of Kale (de-stemmed)
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup onions & peppers
2 Tbs. salsa
Cooking Oil (I use coconut oil)
21 Seasoning Salute (from Trader Joe's)
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Dice Sweet Potatoes & sprinkle with oil, 21 seasoning salute, salt, & pepper to taste. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
3. Cook brown rice or heat up. (If I am short on time I buy the organic frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's).
4. Chop onion & pepper and place in oil-lined heated pan. Add kale and flash fry for 2-3 min.
5. Rinse off canned black beans & heat up.
6. Chop up cilantro, tomatoes, and slice up lime wedges.
7. Once food is cooked, combine rice, beans, sweet potatoes, and kale. Top with fresh salsa, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, salt & pepper, and a hint of lime.
8. Make extras for leftovers & enjoy!!
Photo Credit: HMW