So if you are unsure as to where to get started, I am including a list of my top 10 items I always have on hand at my house. That way I always have an option, even when I am short on time.
1. Nuts/Nut Butters - Spread on fruits, veggies, or toast. Have a handful of nuts as a snack.
2. Eggs - Hardboiled eggs are so easy, and great to make in advance and always have on hand. Otherwise scrambled eggs and omelets are great sources of protein. Pair with some sautéed veggies.
3. Oatmeal - Easy breakfast. Add fruit, flax/chia seeds, nuts, and milk/yogurt for a filling breakfast full of carbs, fat, and protein.
4. Fresh Fruit - Always great to grab in the morning with a handful of nuts if short on time. Keep fruit on the counter so it is more likely to choose when looking for something to eat.
5. Fresh Veggies - Carrots, Snap Peas, Cherry Tomatoes, Celery, etc. are great to have around as far as dipping in hummus, guacamole, or other dips. Perfect to add to salads or other dishes such as stir fries.
6. Lettuce/Spinach/Kale - Always have salad ingredients around. They are easy to make, plus it is a great way to get your veggies in. Add protein, nuts/seeds, fresh fruit and veggies, and some fat for a hearty meal.
7. Plain Greek Yogurt - Another easy breakfast or snack. Add fruit and nuts/seeds or granola for a snack consisting of fat, carbs, and protein.
8. Canned Beans - When I am short on time, I always have canned beans around. I rinse them off and add to salads to get some quick protein in.
9. Quick Brown Rice/Quinoa - I personally do not care for quinoa, but that is not to say it is not healthy. It is! I just prefer the taste of brown rice. Burrito bowls are an easy dinner to make - brown rice, beans/meat, grilled veggies, salsa, and guacamole/avocado.
10. Sweet Potatoes - These are just one of my favorites. I grill and add to salads, bowls, or serve with grilled salmon and asparagus. I also serve in the morning with eggs.
So here is a breakdown of some simple foods to have on hand. It is so easy to get caught up in not knowing what to do as far as eating healthy, unless we have a plan. So start looking for recipes, make a grocery list, and plan your week!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock